Sunday, October 28, 2007

Lars and the Real Girl













I am on a roll people. I have seen another movie this weekend! I can't I am actually listening to good music, making an effort to see a movie a week... Wow! This is crazy with a "k" (almost).

So less about me, more about how great an actor Ryan Gosling is....

Lars and the Real Girl, unlike my expectation is not a comedy. It is about a delusional young man who hopes to find love in a real doll that he orders on the internet.

It has multiple awkward scenes that push your moral and social boundaries at times but overall, the dosage of drama is well balanced and the acting as I would like to reiterate here, is exceptional.

The movie is not exploring the recently talked about real doll phenomenon but more exploring the psyche of a young man with broken family ties and emotionally absent father and lonely upbringing. It is a sweet story of love and support. The ties between Lars and his brother are well depicted.

It still made me question our social prejudices despite how Lars' situation was well compensated in his small town. I want to ask everyone, why is there no real man dolls? If there were real man dolls, would a small town like Lars' handle that the same way? I don't know.

But one thing I do know is that this movie had a huge potential to be just awkward and bad. Congrats to Gillespie for making this movie just right. This movie had a lot of mainstream buzz despite its unconventional plot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the over all look and feel of Lars and the Real Girl reminded me a lot of Mozart and the Whale (Josh Hartnett plays a character resembling Ryan Gosling’s); both movies are about acceptance and unconditional love

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.