Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Darjeeling Limited: A Fun Train Ride



Darjeeling limited starts with three brothers going on a "spiritual" journey in India (but only in a Wes Anderson sort of way). Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and Adrian Brody are three dysfunctional brothers who have not seen each other since their father's death a year ago. It is a fun ride with wonderful images of India and a lingering question: Will this trip make the brothers get close again?

Whether or not this trip helps the brothers turn back time and heal their wounds is a question you can ask yourself at the end of the movie. I will tell you why you should go see it.

I normally do not like Anderson's whimsical and bittersweet humor. I usually find it contrived. I think with Darjeeling Limited, he is able to make his characters a lot more comfortable and real, less dramatic, stiff and contrived (think Royal Tenenbaums). There are some genuinely hillarious black humor moments, well done and extremely unique. It still has the deliberately uncomfortable moments but that's Wes and I think we have to accept him for who he is.

The super trio (Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and Adrian Brody) are well casted. The cinematography is also very impressive. You really feel like you are in India.

So if you like Wes Anderson's style, I think this is one of his best films, with the most mature style. He is so unique that I think it is unfair to compare him to other directors in this genre.

Overall, good laughs, beautiful scenes, interesting movie. I would recommend...

No comments: