Sunday, July 29, 2007

What is happening to Lindsay Lohan?

I really do not care to write about whether Lindsay is innocent or guilty of the DUI charges, how long she should be sentenced or whether she should be sentenced. Neither do I want to talk about her bags, her outfits or boyfriends... For those matters, you can refer to Perez who does a comprehensive coverage of her mishaps.

I want to talk about how she went from being one of the most talented Hollywood actresses to being the ultimate bad movie making machine. She might very well be worse than Kevin Costner or maybe at par (As some of you may know, I equate bad movies with Kevin Costner. If he is in a movie, it is bound to suck). Is Lindsay becoming the next Kevin Costner?

Not that the movies she's been in are the types of movies I love but I have to give her credit that until recently, she has been an amazing actress and played in very good movies within the pop/hollywood/teen genre. Freaky Friday, Mean Girls and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen are very distinguished within their genre, partially thanks to her outstanding talent in acting.

Lately however, the critics have been bombing her with mean reviews. I thought Georgia Rule was some unfortunate failure until I read the reviews for I know who killed me. I mean, seeing the trailer was already a good enough indication that the movie was not going to be good but I did not predict that the movie would suck this bad. The sad thing is that in most of these reviews, Lindsay's acting is not disparaged. It is the movie that is comically awful.

However, I have very little pity for talented actors who cannot read scripts. Part of the actor's talent should be evaluating the script of a movie and weighing financial vs. reputational gain from participating in the movie. I understand the obligation of being prolific but there is a tipping point. If you are repeatedly in sucky movies, audiences will realize the pattern and start not going to your movies. Then you will not get good movie offers and be doomed to produce sucky movies or nothing. I hope Lindsay does not become the next Kevin Costner because I think her acting is much better than that...

No comments: