Thursday, July 12, 2007

Aquitaine: For the love of French Food

This weekend, I went to the super romantic Aquitaine for dinner. The ultra chic windows that allow you to people gaze, the elegantly designed wine bar and perfectly dimmed light capture you right from your first hello. I happened to be sitting at the most crippling, "blocking the way" table however I still did not feel uncomfortable. The waiter was extremely polite and did not have a french attitude. (I hate the french attitude by non french people at french restaurants... are they trained to treat you like that?) The wine menu is so comprehensive that it would blow you away. The food was very good, the decor and the service. However, for some reason, I did not feel as satisfied as going to Balthazar. Similar prices, atmosphere and meal but just not quite the same.

I think Aquitaine has done a very good job but tried to stay on the safe side despite its claim to be contemporary and experimental. So you can't find anything wrong with the food. It reminds you of a familiar french meal you had at a fabulous restaurant. However it is just a reminder... It is not the actual mind blowing experience that you went ooohhhh, ahhhh over.

Having said that, I think Aquitaine is a must go if you live in Boston. I think everything tastes exactly like it should. It just misses that special twist that would make it memorable toujour. I can still taste Balthazar french onion soup when I close my eyes (yes, I am obsessed with food to the point that I sometimes dream about it). With Aquitaine, I do not have that feeling.

I do not want to sound like I left unsatisfied. I definitely left with a big smile on my face and rosy cheeks from the great wine. I just wish the chef pushed the boundries a little, play with a couple of unfamiliar spices, add a twist of moroccan... Make it a little contemporary. Overall, it is a great french classic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another thing that makes the Aquitaine experience worth recommending is the price. With entrees at $15-25 and an approachable wine list, it also leaves you with the satisfying experience of feeling like you received a good value for your money. Far too many Boston restaurants have left the ole wallet smarting after a meal that was only adequate. (Or sometimes less than adequate....I'm looking at you Mantra!)