Friday, July 6, 2007

Croc Monsieur

So I don't know if this is a Boston thing but I have been seeing a mind numbing number of crox (crocs) lately. It is hard to miss them because they come in florescent colors. Even the most subdued people are not afraid to flaunt their bright orange crocs. Crox are replacing Birkenstocks and flip flops combined. It is CRAZYYYYY. For those of you who walk on the street with your eyes closed, crocs are plastic clogs that look like this

So I went to the Croc's website to better understand the mania because Croc is making a sizeable impact on the Boston community.
I would like to note that the website is extremely Web 2.0 forward with super Flex capabilities and such.

But my actual quest was to find out WHY do so many people wear those hideous things??? I believe a lot of people felt the need to be pursuaded so they actually posted reasons for wearing these things.

So here they are and why I still will love my Manolos more

1. Really soft, super comfortable and molds to your feet: Well comfortable is a subjective term. For me, super comfortable means not having to wear bandaids with my shoes. And some of my shoes, after wearing bandaids for wks do mold to my feet and stop giving me blisters.
2. Barely there, weighing only 6 oz: I do not think I ever had the problem of my summer shoes weighing a ton. My flip flops probably don't even weight 3 oz.
3. Vented so air passes through, keeping feet cool: Well instead of opening holes why not wear sandals? They are meant to keep your feet breezy.
4. Non marking slip resistant soles: I don't really quite care about the non marking feature but slip resistant actually sounds great. And when was marking soles ever a concern?
5. Bacteria and odor resistant: Ewww, I am not even going to comment on this. If you have bacteria and odor in your shoes, throw them out and buy new ones, seriously!
6. Ultra hip italian styling: Did anyone say Prada? Oh Croc, my bad!
7. Port holes allow sand and water pass through: When will I be concerned that my shoes do not have port holes to pass sand through? While gardening? Oh wait, I live in the middle of the city. I do not have a garden.
8. Can be sterilized in water and bleach: Uhm going back to my point 5. Time to buy new shoes people. New shoes...
9. Easy maintenance, just wipe clean: Yup, that solves your shoe maintenance issues. I mean, how many hours a day do you spend maintaining your shoes? Wow what a time saver!
10. Orthotic molded foot bed: Ok, I will give you this one... I do know that I sacrifice arch & heel support to look 4 inches taller... I am sure I will pay for it in 20 yrs.

Ok, I have to give it to them that these things are amazingly convenient with a solid heath benefit. I understand how they can easily replace smelly Birkenstocks. But I think they are a little too out there for me to let go of fashion or flip flops. I am still not convinced why I should walk around looking like a psychedelic Danish Milkmaid. Long live Choos!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

selin you crack me up! i have to say, i haven't tried those guys on, but even i am aware they look pretty retarded and it's not worth the potential benefit of reduced bacteria growth (?! ew!)