Thursday, July 12, 2007

iphone, youphone, we all scream for iphoneee



iPhone got released a week or two ago after a long long hype that started a year before its release. I do not know of another product that had this much positive buzz around it without spending buckets of money on advertising.
How does Apple do this? I really do not understand.
As far as I know, there are only two brands out there (Google and Apple) where customers have such sympathy for the brand that if there was a defect in the product, the user would think of blaming the factory instead of Apple.

So I have to say at 500 (or 600, depending on the memory size) a pop, I was skeptical about how much of the product was hype and how much was actual value.
Well, let me say this: Ever since I went to that apple store to just mess around with it, I do not like my Blackberry any more. So yes, it is all that. It combines phone, ipod, camera and all other fringe Blackberry benefits in a beautiful and compact package. It is easy to use and it is just pretty (which appeals to a lot of girls who want email but not a blackberry)

So delivering on the point and exceeding expectations is obviously key in becoming america's darling brand. But there is something about Apple that is just delicious. Just a few years ago, it was a brand in the gutter. And we all know that once you are in the gutter, you go down further.

So Steve jobs obviously did the unexpected. He took a brand that had positive elements that people appeciated and carried it to mainsteam. He made a non black computer that was intuitive to use, a music player that could carry all your music that was small, one clean bug free version of a product that you did not regret buying (ever)... And did it in a humble way, not falling into the traps of corporate culture.

And I think America picks up on either the coolness or the reliability or both. And once you have established your brand as cool and reliable, the buzz just follows. You need to keep delivering to the point but the word of mouth effect will suffice to make your brand the hottest item in the market.

It is hard to not be tempted to bombard people with your brand but a little bit of mystery goes a long way.


Update Oh oh, and I was just at the cingular store, doing my regular iphone stalking and one of the salespeople said that the new 3G iphone is rumored to have a November release date. I am holding off until then... Just a hint :)

No comments: