Friday, May 4, 2007

Faithfully departing from the Oscar Phenomena

There is a reason why I do not watch the Oscars... And a reason why I resist watching movies associated with the Oscars... Because they piss me off... It upsets me to see these movies "buying" the limelight from real talent. Marketing and availability unfortunately makes some movies get popular and get rewarded. If I were a film director, I would be so discouraged...

The Departed was a pretty good Mafia movie... It was good fun. Scorsese is awesome, he really makes you engaged in his mafia stories but win an Oscar? Best Director? Really? Best Motion picture? Seriously? The acting was awesome. It was really amazing. I mean Scorsese had a budget to afford Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson and Mark Wahlberg. But what about that movie (aside from acting which actually won nothing) was such a talent display that it won two Oscars?

I think the Academy mentality is that he has a unique and good style. And he has done a series of really good movies. So at this point he has a cumulative credit/reputation to win him an Oscar. The Departed is not necessarily better than Gangs of New York or Goodfellas in my opinion. It is a really well done classic Scorsese. If The Departed wins 2 Oscars, then I think all of his movies deserve a couple. Scorsese won an Oscar for being nominated 10 times and producing good quality work consistently. Well, that's fair. I was actually happy to see him win. More appropriately, he should win "life time achievement" in a couple of years.

I am still frustrated that he did not really push himself. He is in his comfort zone and milking it.

Next year I expect Tarantino to win an Oscar for Grindhouse. Now that's an inspiration for the Academy. Because you never know what their criteria is...

No comments: