Monday, September 17, 2007

Fay Grim: To be funny or not to be...


...That is the question I have asked myself over and over while I was watching Fay Grim this weekend. Written and directed by Hal Hartley, I think this is a sequel to Henry Fool, or maybe not... That's what I have been told while trying to understand what on earth inspired this guy to write/direct this movie...

Fay Grim (Parkey Posey), a single nosey mom, gets coerced by the CIA to cooperate in finding her husband Henry's secret notebooks that supposedly have some governmental secrets. And the pseudo comedy/thriller that is the global(ish) quest of Fay Grim starts...

One review I read about this movie, nails my feelings for this movie right in the head...

"Overall, though, Fay Grim only occasionally connects with the viewer. It is a film so caught up in its own cleverness and cheekiness that -- despite the solid work by its cast -- it forgets to make you truly care about its characters." Stax, ign.com

It has its slightly funny moments - in a dark humorish way. Parker Posey and Jeff Goldblum's performances are very good. It is just that I constantly felt like Hartley was trying to impress me rather than engage me... Which is not a very pleasant feeling... You feel like you are in math camp with a smart ass 8th grader... who keeps on asking you stupid riddles... You just want the yapping to stop...

Hmmm, I would say don't watch it... alas it is not really worth your time

No comments: