Thursday, September 13, 2007

Borders of Canada: Toronto International Film Festival

Yup, something that I know you are jealous about... Rightfully so... It was awesome! It was probably one of the best things I have ever done in my life: Going to Toronto Film Festival

I have seen three amazing movies and one hyped movie (respectively)
Jar City by Baltasar Kormakur
Lust, Caution by Ang Lee
The Man from London by Bela Tarr
4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days by Cristian Mungiu

So first of all, I have to say that people in Toronto were amazing. Everyone so friendly and polite and helpful... It was as if every person went to school of manners and came out with perfect scores. What a great experience!

And I really really liked Toronto. Very hip and cosmo... Has a Berlin'ish european feel to it... Very modern and clean...

Anyways, back to the movies

Jar City is adapted from the Icelandic Thriller by Arnaldur IndriĆ°ason and seems like a very hard book to adapt. And can I say that Kormakur has done an amazing job... A must see for the year

Ang Lee's movie, Lust, Caution was a very good take on Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love. Although lacking in plot and style originality, it is a very good attempt to be Wong Kar Wai and carrying his style to mainstream.

And Bela Tarr's movie was a cinematographic masterpiece. I have never seen such precision and beauty in a movie before. The entire movie felt like one photo after another... Every second of it beautiful.
And he was so nice and humble too... I actually got a photo with him which I am thinking of magnifying to poster size for my office and one wallet size for everyday staring... I love him!!!!

And finally, the most hyped up movie of all... 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days... This movie is about abortion and stylistically reminds me of 21 grams. I think it is tough to do a movie on such a sensitive subject but I think all the hype is about the subject rather than the actual directing job... Which was very disappointing...

No, I did not see George Clooney or Brad Pit... Yes they were there... And so were 2 million people who wanted to see them... Meanwhile, I was obsessing over Tarr and Kormakur...

No comments: