Friday, June 22, 2007

The National is coming to town

And I missed them. Well for those lucky people who had a chance to see them at the Middle East, I want to say, I am jealous.

Their first album, Alligator was good. It was just the perfectly created music album. I just did not feel the umpf that would make it wonderful. I appreciated how great National is but did not get obsessively attached to the album the way I usually do with most of the new bands that I see as my proteges. I need to defend them, help with their viral marketing they deserve. With National, I just quietly found them good.

Oh, but that is until they released the Boxer which is something else. It is darker, more complex, their voice and soul discovered. I feel like they are not playing safe any more. They decided to let go to unveil their true awesome self. So now they are one of my favorites but probably not a protege because they are past that band-ling stage.

The lead singer has a dark voice that whispers poems in your ears. It is like walking on the asphalt of a desolate street in a big big city where the moon frolicks skyscrapers. And that is all you can see besides your shadow and the silvery reflection of the asphalt.

The drums are just as captivating as the lead singer's voice. The beats are clever, pushing the limits and declaring the drums as the mood setter.

And now I sit here wondering how wonderful it should be to see them live. Oh how was it? Was it as good as I am afraid it is?

No comments: