Friday, November 9, 2007

Beirut: Now I am a member of "The Flying Club Cup"



Oh Beirut is one of the most delicious things I listened to since The Decemberists. Zach Condon, a 21 year old child, has created this amazing album named The Flying Club Cup.

The album has the sound of a world traveller. The Balkan and eastern European inspired melodies make the sound extra exquisite. Then you start hearing 1940's-esque French cinema dialogs in the background. And Zach's voice smooths over this exotic musical richness like a velvet curtain which reminds me of his sultry predecessors Jens Lekman and Sufjan Stevens. There is some lo-fi elements to the music, which I think brings out Zach's Brooklyn roots.

Believe me you will not understand how a 21 year old could have such a worldly view? Such a velvety beautiful voice? One of my best discoveries. He has definitely come a long way since his Gulag Orkestar days...

No comments: