Sunday, February 3, 2008

Best Malbec Found: Achaval Ferrer


At roughly $20 this 2006 Malbec from Mendoza is ready to drink and it is the smoothest, most well balanced and most flavorful Malbec I had in a while. It is dark, purplish and beautiful in color. It has a fruity yet spicy aroma, you can smell that it is aged in oak but it is a perfect balance of new and old world aroma. Medium bodied yet complex, full of black fruits with an old world minerally (and not tannin-y) finish.
Achaval Ferrer is apparently one of the most reputable wine makers (despite being fairly new in the industry).
Received 92 points from Wine Advocate and can be stored until 2008.
I think I am going to buy a few bottles... I love it.
I just found out that you can buy it from costco at 16.99! Yay for affordable indulgence...

No comments: